Development Director - JusticeMatters
Are you passionate about serving your neighbor and advocating for their safety and dignity?
Do you excel in a team that is driven by impact, celebrates efforts and success, and values each individual? Do you thrive on building authentic relationships that connect donors to problems in our community, and articulating how they can help drive solutions?
Are you called to invest your experience and expertise in a dynamic, growing mission? Are you ready to lead while continuing to learn? Are you JusticeMatters’ next Development Director?
Fundamentally, human trafficking is the exploitation of vulnerability for profit. Immigrants without permanent legal status, children whose parents are unable to care for them, and survivors of trauma are at heightened risk of exploitation. Legal services unlock access to safety and stability, preventing exploitation and helping survivors rebuild their lives.
Founded in 2009, JusticeMatters is a faith-motivated, nonprofit law firm that addresses the roots and repercussions of human trafficking in North Carolina. They provide trauma-informed legal services and promote just policies and practices impacting their clients and community. At the forefront of efforts to integrate principles of trauma-informed design in the legal profession, JusticeMatters recognizes that the way they provide legal services—not solely the legal results they secure—holds potential to promote the wellbeing of their clients and workforce.
JusticeMatters seeks a Development Director to join their talented, dedicated team to address the roots and repercussions of human trafficking. They will live into the mission by seeking justice, striving for excellence, upholding trauma-informed principles, embracing community, and being anchored in celebration. JusticeMatters envisions the freedom and flourishing of all.
Want to know more? Visit JusticeMatters’s website at https://justicemattersnc.org/.
What will you do as JusticeMatters’s next Development Director?
The Development Director will lead the creation and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising plan to increase, diversify, and sustain contribution and grant revenue in order to further the mission of JusticeMatters.
- Develop and drive JusticeMatters’ relationship-based annual development plan in partnership with the Executive Director, board, and staff.
- Continue to develop the case for support to align with the strategic vision and values of the organization while inspiring connection and investment.
- Oversee the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donor constituent groups including board, individuals, corporations, and congregations, engaging staff and board members in execution.
- Manage a personal portfolio of donors with the capacity to make significant gifts of $5,000 and above resulting in direct face-to-face solicitations.
- Manage the annual fund campaigns by developing strategy and executing the plan.
- Drive the organizational grant process by identifying opportunities, making connections to develop relationships with funders, and facilitating the preparation and submission of applications.
- Create and implement a formal stewardship plan to further engage donors in the mission and honor their investments.
- Guide the strategy and execution of special giving opportunities such as capital campaigns or planned giving.
- Share stories of impact to motivate volunteers, board members, donors, and partners in ways that inspire support for the agency while protecting client confidentiality.
- Build the reputation and exposure of the organization through community outreach.
- Serve as a member of the leadership team bringing a philanthropic lens to organizational strategies and helping to ensure strong staff relations and fulfilment of mission, vision, and core values.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Development Committee and leverage committee members to implement donor engagement and stewardship strategy and meet fundraising goals.
- Oversee maintenance of proper records and data in the donor database on donors and relationships.
Key lived experiences, attributes, and skillsets sought in the Development Director
- At least 5 years of proven leadership of a comprehensive resource development program with successful face to face solicitations of five- and six-figure major gifts.
- Organized and detailed-oriented with commitment to conducting development with integrity and the highest ethical standards. Able to build and lead a collaborative team with confidence and humility.
- Proven track record of communicating nonprofit impact while protecting client identity and centering clients and impacted communities.
- Ability to articulate, verbally and in writing, a passion for the mission.
- Ability to connect with individuals from all walks of life with cultural humility, honoring diversity of identity and lived experience.
- Success building relationships with teammates and members of the community who can personally invest, or who can influence individual, congregational, or corporate giving.
- Compassionate connector who intentionally engages the community to increase awareness of the organization.
- Success working with a nonprofit board of directors and fundraising committees.
- Demonstrated understanding of data-informed fundraising efforts and CRM database experience.
- Experience with capital campaigns is preferred.
- Support of the mission, vision, values, and foundation of JusticeMatters.
Think you are the next JusticeMatters Development Director?
Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any technical problems, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites.
Review of candidates will begin in May 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
JusticeMatters actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. JusticeMatters is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity.