Executive Director - Mustard Seed Community Health
Are you passionate about serving your neighbor and ensuring access to healthcare?
Do you find joy building relationships and connecting individuals with an impactful mission?
Does your passion inspire others to personally connect with the mission?
Are you a strategist with experience leading complex organizations serving a high-need client base? The kind of visionary strategist that sees today’s realities and tomorrow’s possibilities and blends them together to forge a plan for growth built on data, input, and a deep understanding of client needs.
Mustard Seed Community Health seeks an Executive Director to lead its mission to provide high-quality, holistic, integrated healthcare to those in need in an environment that dignifies and empowers the whole person.
In 2013, Guilford County citizens received two pieces of challenging news: the North Carolina General Assembly voted not to expand Medicaid, leaving tens of thousands across the state with no insurance coverage. At the same time Greensboro’s HealthServe Community Care Clinic closed.
Dr. Beth Mulberry, who worked at HealthServe, began exploring the possibility of opening a clinic that would not just respond to health emergencies but would help address the problems that were making and keeping people sick. In 2013, Mustard Seed set up a clinic one day a week on Simpson Street while planning to open a health center in the former parsonage next door. By 2016, the clinic moved into its current space at South English Street and began offering services five days a week.
Now, 10 years later, 608 patients receive access to high-quality healthcare and access to additional resources so that they can get healthy and stay healthy. With Medicaid expansion coming in North Carolina, Mustard Seed has the opportunity to further meet the needs of our community.
Want to know more? Visit Mustard Seed’s website at https://www.mustardseedclinic.org/http://hopestation-wilson.org/.
What will you do as Mustard Seed’s next Executive Director?
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will fulfill the following key responsibilities:
Leadership and Strategic Impact
- Serve as the executive leader, community builder, and spokesperson.
- Work with the board, staff, and stakeholders to understand unmet community needs and define the strategic vision for the organization’s future.
- Lead the organization to develop, implement, and assess strategic plans.
- Maintain regular communications with the Board of Directors and provide them with the necessary support, counsel, and information required for effective governance.
- With the Board of Directors, identify, recruit, orient, retain, and celebrate Board members. Ensure a quality process for building the board and diversifying its membership to reflect the skillsets needed and the community served.
Operational and Financial Oversight
- With the Medical Director, plan program delivery, modifications, and expansions to deliver measurable health outcomes and effective use of resources. Assure programing aligns with strategic plan.
- Oversee preparation of the annual budget and other necessary financial documents.
- Ensure strong internal controls, fiscal responsibility, accountability, regular financial statements, and efficient, accurate, and consistent financial operations and practices.
- Ensure that Mustard Seed has the appropriate systems, physical space, equipment, and technology to operate efficiently and effectively in compliance with all legal and medical requirements.
- Responsible for the stewardship of facilities and equipment. Work closely with the Board to finalize strategic and capital projects, as well as operating goals that stem from these priorities.
- Serve as the chief development officer for the organization.
- Develop and implement an annual giving plan including cultivating and maintaining relationships with new and existing donors and supporters, developing, and building a major gifts program, and evaluation of efforts.
- Responsible for the consistent flow of revenue to the organization, supporting programs and activities through diverse and multi-faceted income streams.
- Build long-term relationships based on mission, cultivation, and stewardship, program outcomes, and sound fiscal management.
- Manage and execute the grant writing process ensuring that grant opportunities are in line with the strategic direction of the organization, meet the expectations of the grantor, and support the financial needs of the organization.
- Responsible for the supervision and management of the fundraising databases ensuring the timely, accurate, and meaningful acknowledgement of all forms of support. Conduct regular donor and prospective donor data analysis and research.
- Manage special events including but not limited to volunteer recruitment, support to the volunteer committee, budget development and management, project plan development, management and evaluation, and solicitation of gifts-in-kind and sponsorship.
- Build a strong and intentional organizational culture that fosters loyalty, integrity, commitment and creative thinking – one in which staff are empowered, feel valued, and are regularly recognized for their contributions.
- Develop organizational structure, job descriptions, assignments, supervisory and evaluative procedures to achieve strategic goals effectively and efficiently.
- Hire, assign, supervise, delegate, coach, evaluate, and terminate staff in accordance with organizational policies and applicable laws.
Communications and Outreach
- Build and manage positive relationships with partner organizations, the local community, media outlets, and religious organizations.
- Promote Mustard Seed’s visibility and welfare through participation and membership in community forums, interreligious efforts, cross-agency partnerships, and activities that are aligned with mission and vision.
- Guide all communications including newsletters, impact reports, the website, database platform, social media, and other general communications to ensure alignment of the brand and mission.
- In partnership with the Board and Medical Director, advocates for issues important to Mustard Seed's mission and vision by participating in media interviews, authoring articles, and opinion pieces, speaking at public events. Build Mustard Seed's reputation as an authority on community health with local and state politicians.
Key lived experiences, attributes, and skillsets sought in the Executive Director
- Five or more years of experience in non-profit executive leadership where organizational sustainability and growth were key parts of the position
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college/university
- Work productively in a flexible, dynamic environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and deep relational skills, with the ability to build trust, respect, and develop camaraderie among a diverse group and interact equally well with board, staff, community leaders, and clients
- Demonstrated fundraising experience with success in building dynamic relationships with key stakeholders, church, business and foundation leaders, and others who can influence individual, corporate, foundation, and government giving; experience cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts
- Demonstrated success in researching, writing and managing grants and building long-term relationships with grant-making organizations
- History of demonstrating the sound judgment, administrative skill, and financial acumen necessary to oversee day-to-day operations, direct staff, and manage a budget of at least $500,000
- Detail-oriented, logical, and methodical approach to problem-solving
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office programs, website builder software, Quickbooks, donor databases, and mass-communication platforms
- Experience in healthcare a plus
Think you are the next Mustard Seed Executive Director?
Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any technical problems, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites.
Resumes will be reviewed until the position is filled. This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is commensurate with the requirements of the position with a range of $75K to $85K. Mustard Seed offers a benefits package for full-time employees that includes paid holidays, PTO, and 50% of monthly premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Mustard Seed actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. Mustard Seed is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, or age.